New Directions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Highway

3 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Another Highway - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Highway

Post  Shane Anderson Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:02 pm

Shane seriously considered saying no, just to freak Reed out, but then decided against it, because obviously what Reed wanted here was at least a semi-serious discussion.
"Of course I remember," he said, feigning indignance. "How could I not? You were the cutest guy at the whole entire Winter Fest."
Shane Anderson
Shane Anderson

Back to top Go down

Post  Reed Van Kamp Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:16 pm

Reed flushed.
"Well, I remember it too." he laughed slightly at the memory, "I fell on my face right in front of you! I asked you who you were, and you started to introduce yourself, but you ended up stopping mid sentence and running off with Blaine." He always wondered what those two had talked about when they left. He only remembered being nervous to perform at the time.
Reed Van Kamp
Reed Van Kamp

http://www.persephonesmelody.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane Anderson Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:46 pm

"Oh. Right. Well. Um. Yeah. Er." Shane remembered all too well exactly what he'd said when he 'ran off with Blaine.' "Whoisthat?" Shane lost his pauses when unnerved, he flailed towards Reed's direction.
"Didn't he just introduce himself to you?"
"Whatiswrongwithhim? Whydidyounotmentionhim?"

And then later, after the performance, Shane had flagged Blaine down and given him the 3rd degree on who, exactly, Reed Van Kamp was, what team he played for, and whether or not he was single. Basically all Blaine had told him, between frustrated sighs and reminders that spaces between words are meant to be used and not ignored, Shane had gathered that Reed was a painter with a famous fashion person for a mother and he loved to dress really nicely and no one really knew what team he played for but that he was definitely single.
"Yeah, uh, well, sorry." Shane paused awkwardly. "I should have introduced myself properly. Here. Hi, I'm Shane. And you must be Reed!" He held out his hand and pretended to be shaking an invisible one. "Proper introduction. There we go. And you must have thought I was a freak when you first met me, didn't you? I did put on quite the show..."
Shane Anderson
Shane Anderson

Back to top Go down

Post  Reed Van Kamp Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:31 pm

"I didn't think you were a freak" he whispered. "I was more confused than anything." he gave a slight chuckle
He wondered why Blaine had never mentioned having a brother before, but mostly he wondered if he had done anything wrong. The way Shane was staring at him, he didn't know what to think exactly. Reed didn't do well with attention, and he was already nervous enough about the performance.
He remembered how Shane followed him around the whole night. He wanted more than nothing for him to leave, and take all the strange feelings he gave him away with him. But something inside Reed, below the initial annoyance and embaressement, couldn't help but think Shane's quirkiness adorable, in an odd way.
Reed Van Kamp
Reed Van Kamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane Anderson Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:30 pm

"I sensed that," Shane said, wincing as a car passed by, causing the car to shake in the way it did when a car passed far too close. "I'm sorry, I was just...me. Insanely forward. And...too headstrong, and not paying attention to what other people might be thinking or feeling..." He was biting his lip again, biting it as hard as he could. "Sorrysorrysorry. I can't apologize enough for what I must have done to you when I was just being crazy. Blaine even told me you might not know how you felt...in that way." He still had his hands folded, and he scrunched them up as tightly as he could. "Anyway. Let's not have a serious conversation on such a good night, okay? Let's talk about something fun." He cast around in his brain, glancing nervously at the clock on the dash. "Like...okay." He had sudden inspiration. "A game, let's play a game. Desert island - don't you dare roll your eyes - three items. And none of that 'boat' crap, or 'a box of 100 movies' or whatever. Go!"
Shane Anderson
Shane Anderson

Back to top Go down

Post  Reed Van Kamp Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:48 pm

Reed was about to open his mouth to respond , when Shane nervously changed the topic. He frowned. He didn't like how Shane assumed he was always making him so unhappy, when infact that wasn't the case at all. He sighed. They would save this conversation for another night. Their relationship had only started, and they would have plenty of time to sort things out.
He responded softly, "You don't need to be sorry you know, if you didn't do that we wouldn't be where we are now." he smiled softly and then laughed at Shane's game idea. Only Shane could take a serious conversation and completely flip it around.

He thought for a moment. A desert island...
"Hmm...I'd probably bring my closet with me" he blushed and then defended himself, "If I'm going to be on a desert island I need to look atleast somewhat presentable!" He thought for a moment and then added, "And I'd bring medical supplies, in case I hurt myself." which was of course inevitable. He couldn't really think of anything else to bring. And then his face reddened, "Can-can we bring- people?" he asked carefully.
Reed Van Kamp
Reed Van Kamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane Anderson Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:54 pm

Shane was about to dispute the closet one on the grounds that a) it was technically more than one thing and b) he had clearly stated that that sort of thing was not allowed and c) it was weird, even if it did happen to be one of Reed's greatest passions. It was a passion that Shane did not understand.
But then Reed shyly asked if he could bring a person and Shane, not being a total idiot, put two and two together, took his teeth out of his lip, and said, "Sure. I think it would be best if you did bring people. You'd need someone to treat you with those medical supplies, and to tell you that you're too overdressed for an island." He grinned at Reed, even though Reed hadn't taken his eyes off the road in the last five minutes.
Shane Anderson
Shane Anderson

Back to top Go down

Post  Reed Van Kamp Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:05 pm

Reed flushed, embarrassed at Shane's comment. He certainly liked the idea of Shane tending to his wounds on a deserted island. At the thought, his blush deepened.
"Well then, I guess I'd bring you too" he said softly and then smiled "-and there is no such thing as 'overdressed'! Every moment is a moment to be fashionable!"
He rolled his eyes playfully, not taking them off of the road. He would have to educate Shane in the ways of the fashion world.
"How about you?" he asked out of curiosity, "What would you bring on a desert island?"
Reed Van Kamp
Reed Van Kamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane Anderson Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:31 pm

Shane felt crimson creeping its way into his cheeks, and turned so that he was looking out the window so that Reed, had he not been a very astute driver, keeping his eyes on the road at all times, could not see him. His eyes scanned the lights of other cars as they flashed past, and he considered two things. First, Reed Van Kamp would bring him, Shane Anderson, on a desert island. This officially made Shane a 'necessary item,' right up there with a first aid kit and a closet. He internally groaned, but had to remind himself that to Reed, those were, apparently, 'necessary items.' Second thing to consider was what he would take with him on a desert island. First item: Reed. That wasn't hard at all. Second item: Blaine. Again, no contest. But the third item couldn't be a person; firstly because there were no other people that Shane would want to spend the rest of his life on a desert island with. Because if he wasn't allowed to bring anything practical - he himself had laid that out in the rules - then he could expect never to be rescued. Although, if Blaine was coming, he could be counted on to find a way to get back, no matter what the cost. He'd come up with some sort of smoke signal and conch type deal, paint his face with mud, kill people...
"Okay, I know my first two items, but I can't think of a third. So I'd take you. And Blaine. And..." He cast around in his mind. What was important, what was important...? "A really really good book." He mentally smacked himself. Officially the worst answer ever.
Shane Anderson
Shane Anderson

Back to top Go down

Post  Reed Van Kamp Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:03 pm

Reed couldn't help but smile at Shane's answer. He now felt a bit selfish for his own. All Shane would want or need on a deserted island would be himself and Blaine, and a good book. He smacked himself mentally. He'd never had more respect for Shane in a moment than he did right now. He honestly would've glomped him right now, if he wasn't so busy watching the road.

It seamed they were both on the same page with atleast one thing, though. They both needed eachother, and maybe that would be enough for now. He may not know what the future holds for him and Shane, but Reed knew that in that moment, he'd never really been more sure that he made the right decision.

Now Reed realised, He really didn't have any idea how to respond , so he settled for asking what book Shane would bring along with him.

(OOC: Sorry that took so long! I finished the Hunger Games, and I'm writing a 7 page essay on Jane Austen. Plus I had OM stuff, so I had no time to respond!)
Reed Van Kamp
Reed Van Kamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane Anderson Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:05 pm

"What book would you bring?"
Shane sighed and tapped the window with the tips of his fingers. "That is a really, really hard question," he said. A lot of people were surprised to find that he liked reading so much. He realized he didn't seem like the type who would ever want to sit anywhere with a book, but reading and watching movies were the only times he ever did sit anywhere. They were relaxing and made him feel calm. He sort of liked that.
So as a result, he had read lots of books. And another surprise - he really liked the old books. Not so much romances, though. He couldn't suffer through Wuthering Heights again if he was chained to a chair with only a copy of Wuthering Heights to keep him occupied. Heathcliff was just so unbearable. Was he supposed to be a turn-on? Shane had heard girls saying how much they liked Heathcliff, but he didn't understand it at all.
So when Shane opened his mouth to give his response, he expected Reed to laugh at him or ask what the book even was. He was fully aware that he should say something more manly, but that would be lying. And Shane couldn't bear to lie to Reed.
"The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde is the most...fascinating...book I've ever read, and I'd love to be able to read it 500 more times." He paused, biting his lip, but more gently this time so as not to concern Reed. "You haven't...ever...read it...have you?" He was almost afraid to ask.

[OOC: first: that's totally fine, i completely understand! second: i love heathcliff so much it isn't even funny anymore. third: i really don't know why i'm such a nerd, but i NEED reed and shane to have a long talk about the picture of dorian gray, so reed BETTER have read it and loved it, okay?!]
Shane Anderson
Shane Anderson

Back to top Go down

Post  Reed Van Kamp Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:55 pm

Reed's face brightened at the mention of his favorite book. It was almost as though Shane had read his mind! He had never met anyone else who enjoyed classics like he did.

"Of course I've read it! It's one of my favorite books!" cried Reed excitedly. "Oscar Wilde has the most beautiful writing I've ever read. Who's your favorite character?"

Reed's mother was actually the one to introduce him to Oscar Wilde, the man was a fashion icon! At a young age, Reed was expected to be well versed in everything from Shakespeare to Poe. No other novel had ever had such an influence on him. As he read he felt he could truly connect to a character as much as he did with Basil Hallward. It was slightly cliche, but now that he was thinking about it, Shane was sort of his own personal Dorian. He blushed slightly at the thought.
Reed Van Kamp
Reed Van Kamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane Anderson Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:12 pm

Shane felt a surge of hatred for Reed. He reached slowly into the back seat, checking that Reed's eyes were still on the road. He pulled a knife from the floor in the back that he'd been using to cut something. Reed stirred, making to look toward Shane. Shane stabbed the knife into Reed's neck, cackling and saying, "I'm your own personal Dorian!"

[COUGH.]

Shane's eyes widened when Reed said it was his favorite book. There was no way this was happening. "Are you even serious right now?" he asked, then Reed asked who Shane's favorite character was and Shane had to focus for a minute.
"That's one of those books where I hate the main character and I hate the second main character but still love the book," he said, still looking at Reed in awe. "I can't believe...anyway, I'd have to say Basil. But I feel sooo bad for him. I mean...that's like...if you stabbed me in the back. Literally. Har har."
Sometimes Shane seriously wanted to throw himself off a building.
But right now, his weird sense of humor couldn't get to him. Because Reed. Loved. The. Picture. Of. Dorian. Gray.
Shane Anderson
Shane Anderson

Back to top Go down

Post  Reed Van Kamp Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:59 pm

"Basil was always my favorite too. Probably because he's the one I can identify myself with." Reed blushed slightly. He didn't want to sound full of himself. No one could truly ever understand everything an artist, like himself, put into a picture. Reed could never finish painting Shane because the emotions were too hard to deal with. He wasn't letting his emotions free. He silently fretted that he had put too much of himself into the painting, and would always start over.
Shane was the hardest thing he would ever have to paint. He was too hard to capture, too perfect to soil.
Reed Van Kamp
Reed Van Kamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane Anderson Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:11 pm

"That totally makes sense," Shane said, "because you're an artist, and he's an artist...Yeah, totally." He pursed his lips and nodded, thinking about how much of a juxtaposition [spelling] Reed himself was. He was an artist. He was also totally into fashion. The cliched image of an artist is always people who wear baggy clothes that always have paint and charcoal and whatever else artists used on them. Reed, however, looked like if there was ever a spot of paint on his clothing - or ketchup, Shane winced at the thought - he would have a heart attack.
Shane Anderson
Shane Anderson

Back to top Go down

Post  Reed Van Kamp Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:32 pm

"But I also always loved Dorian. I kind of always wished I was more like him..." he flushed realizing how stupid he must have sounded. Why would someone want to be like Dorian? He was an awful person. But to Reed, he was exciting, and interesting. He was everything Reed was not, and that had always interested him. Sort of like Shane.
Reed Van Kamp
Reed Van Kamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane Anderson Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:56 pm

Dorian...
Someone else had always liked Dorian, too, someone Shane didn't want to associate Reed with. Shane really wished Reed had just kept that little bit of information to himself, because as much as Shane found it fascinating that someone like Reed could possibly admire someone like Dorian, Micah had been the same way.
Shane remembered long nights in his bedroom, when he was reckless and just wanted to be rebellious against his father and be as gay as he possibly could. But in secret, always in secret until...
They talked about books. Micah was the one who got Shane into reading in the first place, and he'd practically forced The Picture of Dorian Gray down Shane's throat. So yeah, it was Micah who'd inspired the reading thing, but after Micah left, reading become a sort of solace for Shane. But Shane clearly remembered Micah telling him that he liked Dorian because he was interesting and exciting. Shane hadn't understood it then, and he didn't understand it now.
He especially didn't understand it coming from Reed. After all, Reed was absolutely nothing like Micah. For one thing, Reed would never imagine running from Shane. Ever. Shane could just tell. Micah...was different. He just was.
"I don't know why you'd want to be like him," he said finally, pushing away all thoughts of Micah. "He was a really terrible person. Wasn't that the point of the book? The dude sold his soul. Not cool. And then he messed around with people and was a terrible influence on everyone and made bad things happen to all of them. Why the hell would you want to be more like him? I think you're perfect the way you are."
Shane Anderson
Shane Anderson

Back to top Go down

Post  Reed Van Kamp Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:22 pm

Reed's eyes widened. He wondered why Shane had become so defensive. He looked slightly angry and... hurt? What was that about?
"Hey-are you okay? I didn't mean it like that. I guess Dorian was just...different, I guess? I can't even tell you why I liked him" he paused for a moment and then drew in a breath in thought , "I guess-he was to Basil what you are to me. When I paint you. I just- I feel it." Reed's face colored. It had probably sounded dumb, but it was true enough. Painting Shane was an experience unlike anything or anyone he had ever painted before. Shane was a mystery to him. He knew he probably wasn't making Shane's bad mood any better by comparing him to Dorian, but he didn't mean it in that sense. He was still curious as to Shane's sudden defensiveness though.

Reed Van Kamp
Reed Van Kamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane Anderson Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:24 pm

"I'm fine," Shane mumbled moodily when Reed asked if he was alright. Then Reed explained himself, and Shane was left wondering what he'd been thinking. Getting mad at Reed just because he happened to feel the same was as Micah had felt about something. The two of them probably shared many beliefs or ideas or favorites or hatreds... It wasn't the worst thing in the world. After all, Shane had loved Micah, and he loved Reed.
"Yeah. No, I get that. I mean..." Shane stopped talking as he processed what Reed had just said. "I'm like Dorian to you?" He felt color rushing to his cheeks. That was probably one of the sweetest compliments he'd ever received, though he didn't know why. Being compared to Dorian Gray wasn't really a positive thing, but that wasn't what Reed had said. He'd basically said he was infatuated with Shane and Shane was an inspiration to him. Shane was, if he remembered the book correctly, the beauty in the world for Reed.
"That's..." Shane tried to think of a proper response to this, but came up empty. "Wow. Thanks." Lame.
Shane Anderson
Shane Anderson

Back to top Go down

Post  Reed Van Kamp Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:22 pm

"Of course" Reed quietly replied under a slight blush as the two of them fell into comfortable silence. He was glad Shane wasn't mad at him, and that he didn't laugh at his comparison. Shane was usually all over the place with his emotions, which never failed to confuse Reed to no end. Even so, he still couldn't help but wonder what had made Shane so angry in the first place. Had it had something to do with his past? What would Dorian Gray have to do with Shane? As he pondered this a while he noticed the exit that would lead them back to Dalton. He sighed in relief.

It was 9:30. That meant that they had a full half an hour to return to their dorm before they would be suspended. "Here's the exit for Dalton. We should be there in about 15 to 20 minutes. Looks like we won't have to sneak in after all" he gave a slight chuckle and glanced at Shane.
Reed Van Kamp
Reed Van Kamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane Anderson Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:14 pm

"Darn, I was looking forward to donning my black trench coat and running around with a fake gun while humming the Mission: Impossible theme." Shane snapped his fingers. "Maybe next time we'll be luckier."
Internally, however, he was breathing a sigh of relief. So he wouldn't get suspended, Blaine wouldn't be upset/embarrassed, and nobody would call Shane's dad. Thank goodness. He didn't know if his emotions tonight - first nervous, then excited, then nervous again, and now just plain happy - could take anything else.
Shane Anderson
Shane Anderson

Back to top Go down

Post  Reed Van Kamp Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:21 pm

"Tonight was..." he paused. What was tonight?
Reed took a moment to contemplate everything that had happened tonight. It all didn't seam real. He had started the evening jumbling over words and spilling ketchup, he had kissed Shane, and now he was speeding down a highway with his new boyfriend. If someone had told Reed yesterday that today would bring all of THIS, he would have called them crazy.
"Completely unexpected." He wondered how the rest of the Warblers would take the news of their relationship. Kurt didn't even know Shane existed! How was Blaine going to explain that one? 'What would mother say?' he silently fretted.
Reed Van Kamp
Reed Van Kamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane Anderson Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:32 pm

Shane cocked an eyebrow. "In a good way, I'm hoping," he said jokingly, because he knew that it was from the look on Reed's face as he smiled at the road in front of him.
"I agree, though. Only in my dreams would I have ever thought I'd kiss you!" He laughed and wondered if that sounded too forward. He decided it probably did but he didn't really care.
What would Blaine think? Blaine would be happy for him because Blaine liked Reed. At least...Shane was fairly certain that Blaine liked Reed. Who wouldn't like Reed?
Speaking of telling family...
"What do you think your mom will say? She won't be upset, will she?" Shane asked, concerned suddenly. What if Reed's mom got really upset?
Well, she was really into fashion, and there were a lot of gay people in fashion. She wouldn't be that surprised, probably. And she probably worked with gay people all the time. So she knew there was nothing wrong with them.
Still...there's a difference between knowing gay people and having a gay person for a son...
Shane Anderson
Shane Anderson

Back to top Go down

Post  Reed Van Kamp Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:56 pm

"Well the thing is-" he paused considering how to phrase this, "-everyone's always assumed I was gay and those who didn't assume had their suspicions. I don't like to label myself I guess- but I really don't think my mother will be shocked about that." It wasn't the fact that he was dating another guy, as much as the fact that he was dating Shane. His mother was always quick to judge others, and he was worried that she would take one look at Shane and disapprove of his decision. Nothing was ever good enough for her.

Shane was everything his mother hated. He dressed in ill fitting clothing, and had a mass of curly unkept hair. Shane was often all over the place, and he made the kind of jokes his mother would never let him make. He was the epitome of the kind of person Reed was NOT to be seen with. He couldn't imagine what she would say when she found out...if she found out. Reed wasn't exactly eager to tell her.

Reed Van Kamp
Reed Van Kamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane Anderson Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:33 am

The way Reed said 'she wouldn't be shocked about that' told Shane that there was something else she'd be shocked about. He knew he shouldn't ask, because if Reed wasn't saying anything, then he didn't wantto say anything. It was probably best if Shane didn't even know.
Curiosity killed the cat, but Shane found himself asking anyway. "Then what will she be shocked about?"
Shane Anderson
Shane Anderson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next